Saturday, April 20, 2019

Mercy

Tonight I was talking about the Resurrection of Jesus with my children and how His resurrection was a victory over death. I started to think about a song that might relate to the topic. Sometimes a song says it all. Immediately, the lyrics "triumphs over judgement" by Bethel, but the name of the song stumped me and I could not think of any other lines to the song that would clue me in. "triumphs over judgement" just kept playing over and over in my mind.

Then, the word "mercy". Mercy? Yes! "mercy triumphs over judgement."

That was the line, but what song?

I began to search for Amanda Cook and "triumphs over judgement" on Amazon Music app in my phone. Nothing! I just kept replaying those lyrics in my mind as I tried to think of what song it was and I could look it up. Listen. Breathe in God's triumph through His Son. But nothing!

Finally, I Googled it. Gotta love Google for it's super power of finding just about anything a person wonders about. Well, I found it: Bethel Music with Amanda Cook sings Mercy. Yes, that simple of a title, but I found it. I played it and it washed over me.

According to Merriam-Webster Dictionary online, 'mercy(n.)' means 'compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm'. 

That means that when I do wrong against someone else and they have the right and authority to do harm towards me, but choose instead to stop feeling angry towards me and seeking revenge against me, that I have received their mercy. The same is true in reverse from me to someone else.

Perhaps this song stuck to me because I found out last night that others were aware of my ex-husband's deep sinful behavior prior to us getting married and didn't feel it was their place to tell me (potentially saving me from years of heartache or at least from ignorance). Now, I am faced with a decision--forgive and extend mercy OR do harm to them (any myself) by keeping distance between us and refusing relationship with them. Mercy is hard! Mercy releases the giver of control over the offender. This can be difficult if someone feels they are responsible for making sure that the offender is punished and "gets what they deserve" for their actions.

However, we all have sinned and done wrong to someone and deserve a consequence for said actions. Yet, there is mercy. Mercy is what gives the offender the opportunity to make a difference choice next time. 

It is hard to give mercy. Very hard! It does not always stop the offender from repeating their actions so why do it? Why give mercy to someone who has wronged us? Don't they deserve lash back? 

Mercy.

Mercy triumphs over judgement.

When Jesus rose from the dead, the victory was more than over death. It was over judgement. It was FOR mercy and love that he did NOT remain in the grave and end His story that day he died. He came back to those he loved, to show us that victory over the spiritual death our sin causes and that victory over judgement is possible because of MERCY. Through mercy we are free and loved.

Is it easy for me to forgive those who knew of my ex-husband's problems prior to our marriage and never told me? NO WAY! But, holding onto the hurt of such news hurts me and me alone. If I hold onto my resentment, I will be putting so much effort into resentment instead of freedom through mercy.

Mercy.

Mercy triumphs over judgement.

This does not mean we make excuses for someone's actions and refuse to set healthy boundaries because we are trying to show mercy. I think that Jesus wants us to remember that it is ultimately about us using our energy for the task He has set before us, rather than be consumed to be sure that someone else received a consequence for their wrong-doing against us.

Make sense?

I don't know about you, but I want God's mercy for my wrong choices. If I am willing to accept God's mercy for myself, shouldn't I also extend mercy towards others when the situation is safe to do so? And maybe it is jumping to think that someone's actions were unintentional, rather than intentional.

Mercy.

As we celebrate the resurrection of Jesus and His victory over death, let us also remember that He triumphs over judgement (from and towards others or self). If He gives us his whole heart and gave his whole body for us to no longer be separated from God, then maybe, just maybe, it is possible for us to show mercy. 

Luke 6:36 says "be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."
Ephesians 2:10, "For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not post profane words or suggestions here of any sort. If you have a complaint, please email me and I will take care of it as best I can.