Friday, September 24, 2010

Beauty is not just about appearance

There's more to life than how your hair looks, whether or not you wear make-up, who your friends are, how you dress, and where you hang out. These things do effect your life because it is iimportant to take care of yourself. But for a person to care about how they look to attract particular friends, boyfriend, etc. is a hinderance for quality relationships.

Our physical appearance is important for health & well-being. Strive to be healthy inside (what you eat) and out (personal hygiene). Just know that the goal should not be to "look good", but to be healthy. So the question is really "What is your goal?" What is your heart?

For the girl who spends 2hrs prepping and pampering herself before leaving the house each day, I would ask, who is it for? To spend that much time on how a person looks, it must be for someone to "ooh" and "aah" at her. What about the girl who rolls out of bed and barely combs her hair (or not at all) before going out the door? I would ask, do you care to care for yourself at all? There must be a good balance between these two girls! It's never a good thing to pamper yourself up for others to compliment you, but it's never a good thing to do nothing with yourself either.

So, where is the heart in it all? Ask yourself, why am I doing this?? Why am I spending too much/too little time on my appearance? How can I aim for a healthy appearance and balance?

Colossians 3:2 says "Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth."

1 Peter 1:13 says "Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed."

The world's way is to be so focused on yourself and your appearance that you miss the Lord's blessings all around you. Those blessings might be a sincere friendship, a God-focused love relationship, strengthening your relationship with God, building family relationships, having a focus on life that is not all about "drama", and growing stronger health every day. Satan would love for nothing more than you to be distracted from your relationship with God and God-focused people. If he can distract you from the most meaningful things that a person can have in their lives, then he will keep you further from God. Luke 21:8a says "And he said, 'See that you are not led astray...'”

Maybe the real question to ask is: How much time do you spend reading the Bible and praying vs. the amount of time you spend on your hair, nails, makeup, and picking out "the perfect outfit"? Are you distracted from God by school, your social life, your appearance, or ___(you fill in the blank)___??

Matthew 6:33 says "But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness..."

Psalm 16:8-11 says "I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption. You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."

God created you and wants you to believe you are beautiful, but that you know you are more beautiful inward than outward. 1 Samuel 16:7 says "But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

May we be like David when he said "I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart." (Psalm 40:8) Let our focus be heavenward! Let our motivation be heavenward! Let our appearance be a reflection of God and His love for us!

Go to http://www.biblegateway.com/ and search "the heart", you will be amazed at the results. Read some of them and allow God to shape your heart to be more like His.

Proverbs 31:30 says "Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not post profane words or suggestions here of any sort. If you have a complaint, please email me and I will take care of it as best I can.